April 24, 2009

Random thoughts on a lovely vacation

I have never had any desire to visit the East Coast. Cape Cod....Nantucket.....whatever. No interest. The sole purpose for this trip was to visit Youngest Son and see him in his "natural habitat"....and I can't believe what I've been missing! Martha's Vineyard is so unbelievably beautiful.





So peaceful and serene (it is the off season). The ocean and beaches are so sparkling clean. Everywhere you look the scenery is almost too perfect! Everything looks like a postcard.

















I kept thinking: "People actually get to live here!.....MY SON ACTUALLY LIVES HERE!!





Now I just wish I could experience it in the summer when the island swells from 15,000 residents to 200,000 visitors! (well...maybe not..I'm sure peaceful and serene would no longer apply!)

hmmmmm.....now I'm wondering what other parts of the world that I don't care about might be better than I'm thinking?


****************************************************************************************************

Youngest Son is 28 years old.





He has pretty much been on his own for the last 10 years, including living far away several times.







Even though he has been an adult for a long time now, there is still a little tiny thread of an apron string for me, deep in my heart (he is my baby, after all!)




We needed to visit him on his own turf, to see for ourselves where he lives and works.



Everywhere we went we seemed to meet someone who knew him. Everone we met spoke so highly of him: his superiors, his co-workers, his staff.




We loved all of his friends, who took such great care of us while he was working........








O.K. Jordy...I can finally fully accept it....you're all grown up now!!


****************************************************************************************************************


Vacations are obviously not the time to be watching what you eat, especially if your son is the Executive Soux Chef at a fancy resort and prepares you a 4 course lunch and other delicacies!


We ate Artichoke Barigoule, Parisienne Gnocchi, Rock shrimp BlT's, Profiteroles with "Chef Jordan's Famous Butterscotch", Citrus Panna Cotta, and the best chicken thighs I've ever eaten that had been cooked in duck fat for 17 hours (yes, 17 hours!).





It seemed like all we did was eat, but somehow I was still able to fit into the airplane seat......

****************************************************************************************************************

Daughter and I always have a great time together these days, but this has not always been the case.



Twenty-plus years ago, in the days of 14 year-old-butting-heads-with-Mom, I often wondered, unhappily, what kind of future we might have together and I wasn't very optimistic....Well, let me tell you that there is light at the end of the tunnel!



If you are experiencing some of that 13-14 yr old trauma in your household, take heart! Someday you'll look back on those years and maybe even laugh about a few things together (Daughter is going through it now herself with her own 13 yr.old....3rd generation trauma!)



I never would have thought back then that someday we would choose to live 2 miles apart and truly enjoy each others company. Spending one-on-one time with Daughter was one of the highlights of the trip.....(click here for Daughter's post of our trip)



**************************************************************************************************************


I love cold weather: wearing sweaters and scarves, sleeping under a comforter. I now know that what I really love is SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA cold weather! WOW was it cold! And it wasn't even the middle of winter! You could feel in in your bones and it made your teeth hurt even with your lips closed!



We left Cape Cod early in the morning at 32 degrees and walked off the plane into a 90 degree San Diego night!! ....very surreal!!

***************************************************************************************************************

I still don't have that travel bug, but I'd certainly do this again someday, a long time from now. Everything about our trip was just perfect!

1 comment:

Yarni Gras! said...

yeah for you! It sounds like a wonderful vacation. Good for your relationships with your kids. And I know you must be proud of your son's accomlishment!